Saturday, September 18, 2010

Crazy Eye

I am not kidding or exaggerating in the least when I say that for the last three weeks, my right eye has been twitching on and off.


I say on and off (thank goodness) because you could imagine my utter embarrassment if it was actually twitching non-stop. I wouldn't be able to leave the house in fear of scaring off people with my wildly flailing eye.

At first I thought my crazy-eye twitching was as a result of hearing or speaking of something unfavourable, something or someone I didn't like, hence the name 'crazy eye.' This deduction came to mind after talking to my mum about an annoying cousin, and noticing that my right eye was twitching. That was my first 'A-ha!' moment.

My next moment came in a fit of road rage over stupid incompetent drivers, where also, lo and behold, I noticed the now all too familiar eye twitch.

However, despite my little nickname for this sudden deformity I've developed, I don't believe it to be caused by anything. That is, my eye twitch resulting from being mad or upset. This eye twitch does not discriminate: home, work, family, friends, happy, sad..... no matter how I'm feeling, where I am or who I'm talking to, my right eye will just begin to twitch of it's own accord.

(It's even twitching right now, I'm not freaking kidding!)

I used to believe that your right eye twitching was an indicator of good things to come, you know, like superstition, the way someone might believe that seeing a dove is a sign of good fortune. I think I read it in one of those dream books that decipher dream meanings. However I'm inclined to lean towards my mums belief, only because hey, she's my mum and she knows 'stuff' and has a WHOLE lot more experience than me. She believes that it's in fact your left eye that brings you luck, and that your right eye twitching is a BAD sign.


Dum, da dum da.


She has experience in these matters you see, as a result of having grown up in a heavily-superstitious environment/time/culture, as mentioned in a much earlier post. So I take most of her stories at face value.

The fact that my eye has been twitching though for 3 weeks now, I can't help but thinking that it means neither good, or bad (I know, as literally crazy as it sounds) but that it may be as simple as some kind of weird twitch.

It's just that I keep getting these random flashes in my mind of Jack Nicholson in "The Shining," where he's experiencing an eye twitch after his hallucinations have transgressed him into an outrageous other-worldly realm.

Am I turning into some psycho-weird mad-woman right eye twitcher? Influenced by stupid people over the last year, whose behaviours have turned me into an enraged bottled-up fuel of emotions, whose only physical outlet is the right eye twitching?


Stay tuned to this mad woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment