Monday, September 20, 2010

20 years in waiting....(I strongly apologise for this sport-focused post, but I must)

No time for regrets, on with the show!



So, this week is going to be M-A-J-O-R. Super major in the lead-up to a monumental weekend.

The AFL team I support, good ol' Collingwood, is playing in the grand final this weekend against St. Kilda.

This is soooo major. AFL (Australian Rules Football) is a massive deal in Australia, none more so than in our fair city of Melbourne. The way the Americans go crazy over the NBA play-offs, is the way the folk here go mad over footy. I know this well because Hubbie would love to live in the U.S., purely for his game of b-ball.

It's a tough sport to play. I mean, our Aussie men are tough. And hot. They don't wear loads of protective body or head gear while on the ground playing. In fact, they wear none at all. Oh, well, when one of them has an injury and are still playing (because they're tough) they might have a helmet or a mouthguard to protect their injury. But otherwise, just their uniforms, just their nice fitted, tight, muscle-enhancing uniforms (!)

I follow perhaps one of the most loved and hated teams in the AFL, as before mentioned, the Collingwood Magpies. I think one of the reasons that they are hated so much is because of their strong, passionate following of devotees, and the fact that they are quite possibly the most popular AFL team of all time, with the most supporters. You know, tall poppy syndrome and all that? The haters just can't take it :)

And so this coming weekend is the culmination of what we 'pies supporters have been looking forward to ALL year. In fact, the last 20 YEARS. 1990 was the last time they won an AFL premiereship, and all mighty, they, and we the supporters, are sooooo hungry for it.

I'm fearful, however, because the Saints haven't won a premiereship for almost 50 years (ouch!), and I'm afraid that they'll use that fuel to propel them towards.....you know. Gulp.

Not to say that the 'pies don't have fuel of their own. They were in 2 finals in the last decade of which they lost both, to the same freakin team! Watching your teams' dreams be shattered 2 years in a row is very difficult to swallow. In fact it's tear-jerking, pain-inducing, and all round the worst thing that can happen in the last week of September.

I don't think I could go through this weekend, watching the 'pies lose. I think it would actually shatter me, affect me to a point where I would be a changed person and not ever fully recover from the loss.

So that's why they must win. For me. And for the thousands of supporters out there that have been waiting for this moment for so long.



COME ON 'PIES!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment