Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It's that time again....

I am starting to get excited.




Yes, this is me, getting all into the weather again.



I think the reason that I think, and I talk about the weather so much is due to the fact that it plays a strong part in my emotions and general mood. And no time of year pleases me more than Summer.

Ahhhh. Warm, hot, enveloping Summer.

I can easily handle any heat, because unlike Winter, I don't mind myself sweating and not being able to sleep at night. At least I'm comfortable. And eventually, I do fall asleep (assisted by the air conditioner!)Yet in Winter, I find myself soooo uncomfortable. I find myself in constant states of unpleasantness. Hubbie finds it hilarious the amount of times I've said lately, sadly, like a little child "I'm so cold." The list can go on and on: shivering, tense, cold, wet, wind-swept, freezing, chilly, cold (did I say cold?!)

And so I pondered all this, last night, as I made my way home from work.

Today is the last day of winter. It's turned chilly and gregariously windy outside, as Winter gives its parting farewell to us: "See ya! Here's something to remember me by!"

However, last night was something different all together. An inkling of things to come.

There was something different in the air. As I walked to the car park, I tried to observe it. It wasn't quite cold, yet when the gentle breeze blew through, you could feel it. The air suggested something, hinted at a mild atmosphere that was being subdued by the current month. This struggle between the seasons gave the air a nice, fresh balance. Cold when the wind blew; mild when all was still.

Walking, with the water beckoning and shining from across the road, it almost didn't feel like Winter. It didn't feel like Melbourne. The usual hustle and bustle of peak hour combined with the ravaging winter weather was absent, in its place replaced by a serene, calm atmosphere. Occasional bicyclists rode by, their night lights shining like the beacon of a lighthouse. Cars drove by, however their driving resembled that of a Sunday afternoon: relaxed and leisurely. Tall high-rise buildings and multi-level apartments were littered with the sprinkling of yellow colour, highlighting the warmth and presence made within its walls.
How nice it would have been to be viewing such a spectacular night from way up high.

Although night had descended upon the city, the atmosphere seemed to hang with an air of reluctance.

As the suspicions of Spring started to arrive, so too did the day find it hard to depart. Instead, wavering, waiting, holding on to some breath of hope, that a change was near.

As I drove home, it seemed there were fewer in the city and more people out in the suburbs. Arriving home from school and work yes, but also, lingering, feeling the night air, finding reasons to make their way out. Trying to work out why the night was not so unpleasant, and rather, surprisingly sweet.



We can all feel it in the air. A change is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment