Tuesday, July 20, 2010

LOL!

I've come across such a bizarre tendency.



Only sometimes, but obviously often enough for me to notice, I will come across something funny, as you usually would. I'll hear something, read something, see something, or think something, that makes me smile and wanna laugh out loud, and you know what my internal response is?:

LOL.


The word actually makes its way towards the tip of my tongue, and just as I'm about to say it, I bite.


I mean, come on. You can't say LOL, out loud, right? It's a common web acronym that should only be used in online communication or sms, where audible words don't exist, to convey the message of someone laughing (out loud).


It is sooooo ridiculous. I think someone would actually hit me if I said it out loud, and they should be allowed to, as well. Anyone should be harmed for saying such an absurd thing out loud. It's not the LOL that doesn't make sense. It's the LOL in the company of audible words. Ahhh, yes.


It makes me wonder if I've been spending a bit toooo much time on facebook, emailing, messaging, chatting..........


You know, at the very beginning of the whole net sensation years ago (gosh how old do I sound?) I actually thought LOL was an acronym for 'Lots of Laughs.'


LOL.


Well, it does sort of make sense. When someone is LOL-ing, they are generally laughing and doing a lot of it, hence the justification to write 'LOL,' and clearly it must be loud, explaining the caps use. (just pretend that acronyms aren't all capped, ok?!)


So I will create a new one: LOLOL. "Lots Of Laughing Out Loud."


LOLOL! Let's see if it catches!


You read it here first.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment