Friday, February 11, 2011

The Gypsy Pants

A while back I wrote a post about how I love shopping for clothes, how I want to start wearing different clothing styles, and my fabulous Hubbie's idea to just buy clothes, with the condition that it must be different.

Well, I'm writing to update you on that, and yes, I have been buying clothes, that are different, slightly edgier, hipper, and cooler than what I usually have been used to in the past.

In my ongoing journey of the saga of travelling womenswear, I have recently acquired some floaty, loose-fitting pants.

Or as Hubbie and I like to call them, Gypsy Pants.

When I first saw them, I hated them. Generally, I love to wear clothes that are tight-fitting: tight fitting tops, dresses, pants, skirts, everything must be fitted. These pants are loose fitting around the waist, they billow down to your ankles/calf, and then scrunch in again. They're very floaty, and not at all like the style I'm used to. So when I first saw these in the shop I was like "that looks like someone's crapped themself."

True, true, I bagged the Gypsy pants at first. Until Hubbie said (in his remarkable fashion-savvy knowledge of which I cannot attribute the history of) "those pants would really suit you."

I argued and debated with him for ages, on and off, until one of our 'special' shopping days, where we were out looking for unique clothes, and after he again suggested me trying them, I just went "ok."

And I liked what I saw. Not only were they comfy, so different from the tight jeans I practically live in, but they looked good too. I was shocked, Hubbie was totally right. Considering there are times that I have to tell him "you're wearing those shorts with those shoes?" he has an odd, keen eye for women's fashion. Hmmmm. Should I be worried? :)

I didn't end up with that pair, because they were a bit too much on the casual side, and I wanted them just a bit more trendy so I could wear them everywhere, not just while exercising.

About 2 weeks ago, I found a pair. Hubbie was there, I tried them on, and yes they were loose around the waist, a bit too loose around the ankles where they were supposed to scrunch in, but considering they were like $25 bucks, Hubbie was like "buy them."

Hey, I can never argue with a statement like that.

I've worn them twice so far. The first time was at Hubbie's parents house. And boy did he like them. He really digs the hippie/bohemian style, LOL.

The second time I wore them was yesterday at work. It was a mild, humid and windy day, and I thought they would be perfect for that kind of weather. Well I say. The gypsy pants certainly caused a stir.

There's something that happens, a certain response that is had, when you combine an attractive woman, with trendy clothes. There's a kind of unintentional intimidation that occurs on behalf of the people watching, and suddenly there's stares, combined with silence, and furtive glances throughout the day. The brave ones compliment you, the ones that mean well. While the others don't know how to respond.

It's really quite funny. I don't mean to come across conceited, but we all know when we look good and when we look bad. Yesterday in particular I looked good. Today, eh, not bad, I have my wavy hair going but I'm nowhere near inspired wardrobe-wise, as I have my long black cardigan wrapped around me, to keep the chill off the air-conditioned room.

I found it particularly humorous, from strangers, men in question. Getting off the train yesterday on my way to work in the morning, I got up to exit out the doors. There was this tradie also waiting near the door, and although he was closer, he opened the doors, then motioned for me to walk out first. It was just funny, because in that situation you would either


A) let the female walk out first, therefore she would open the doors for herself and the man would follow, OR

B) being closer, open the doors and walk out, with the female following behind you.


Yet he, as mentioned, was closer and opened the doors and stepped back! Oh how sweet :) I just found it amusing that's all, the way certain men react when intimidated by women. I gave a small thank you and just hurried off, sort of surprised by it all.

It hasn't just been with the Gypsy Pants either. A few times this summer when I've worn dresses to work, I've gotten the same quick look from guys, followed by them looking away immediately, because they don't know how to respond. Like their eyes have been burned (from joy!) They don't know how to react, when there is a pleasantly dressed (LOL) woman around.


They are so darn cute, these creatures known as males.


And so the Gypsy Pant journey continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment