Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fluro-coloured glasses and how they trick us

The grass is always greener isn't it?
You could be eating some fantastic noodles (as I was a few nights back) and suddenly your partners freshly made salad sandwich looks sooooo good. Funnily enough, he was eyeing my noodles.
Why do we do this?
You know why? Because when we look at others lives, we see them through our fluro-coloured glasses, making everything seem, well brighter. And more spectacular.
We need to take those fluro glasses and turn them inward, so that when we look at our own lives we see how lucky we are.
Instead of envying the girl whose sporting the latest season's jacket, remind yourself that you have killer legs a model would die for.
When you see that guy, carrying on like no tomorrow and making the whole room laugh, being the life of the workplace, remind yourself that when you go home, someone who loves you is waiting for you, and is happy to see you.
Now, this is not about comparing yourself to others and putting yourself on a pedestal above them. It's about remembering that EVERYONE has something going for them. Yes you too.
Just yesterday I was wishing I had more time. It's the constant struggle of our lives, isn't it, constantly wanting to do more than what we are capable of. I was thinking how I'd love to be able to get home earlier from work, so that I could cook and then be free to do whatever I wanted... whether it was finish New Moon (yes I'm still reading it, I only just got married people, so don't badger me!) or catch up on True Blood eps, or clean up the bloody upstairs rooms from all our wedding presents!
I was thinking how nice it would be to work a shorter day, or how nice it would be if I didn't spend 2 hours of my day driving to and from work.
However today, I'm being shouted lunch, from my great boss.
Now, how many people can say that about their work life? Really, just look at that simple sentence..... I may spend many hours at work, and I may spend hours driving due to it, however my rewards for it come in other forms.
And everyone has a sentence like that, somewhere in their lives. Only thing is, if we view our OWN lives with those fluro-coloured glasses, we'll find that there are more sentences like that in our lives. We'll see we have more than that other person, who suddenly, is standing on a bed of faded yellow-green grass.
It's all about perception. That's the beauty of it. Things around you change when you do.
Now I know this has gone from a "the grass is not always greener" clarification to one about life and choices.
But they're connected.
Now I'm off to lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment