Wednesday, November 24, 2010

No-Show boy

I've been getting quite peeved lately at work. You see, as I've mentioned in a prior post, our department has had to upgrade in staff size considerably, due to an increased amount of work. This is all fine and good, and crazily enough, I actually like and get along with all the people in our department, even the newbies. That is quite a feat considering there are almost 10 of us now, and often in large groups you may get a few clashing personalities. But nope, all good :)



Anyway, this isn't what I'm upset about. One of the guys who has joined is, has basically transferred from his old department into our department. He didn't like his old job, and therefore was able to find a place with us.

This is fine too. I like him and can get along with him really well.

Which is the hard thing, because he has this really annoying habit.

He is freaking never at his desk.

Ok, perhaps I'm exaggerating a little. Let's find a name for him first. Let's call him no-show boy.

No show-boy, when doing the same shift as me (which is about 90% of the time as we are on the same rotation) will ALWAYS come in late when it is an early shift. The early shift starts at 6:30am, and oddly for me, despite my tendency to wanna hug my pillow all morning when I first open my eyes, I actually make it in on time for all my early shifts, even getting in earlier in some cases. I think the motivation is knowing I will have most of the afternoon off, which is super-duper.


What I'm trying to say is, that even though I love to sleep in, I make it in on time for my early shifts. He CLEARLY loves sleeping in, and I cannot count the amount of times he has arrived late.


No joke, here are some examples:


6:40am (I know, don't be a nazi Miss S, but just you wait)

7:00am

7:15am

7:30am

7:40am

8:00am

9:00am.


I am not kidding. Now multiply all these times above by a frequency of 10, and that will give you a clear indicator of how many times I've seen him walk by me and towards his desk, so late into his shift.


And you know what's more annoying? He doesn't make up the time afterwards. He will leave, at the same time as our other early birds, having worked from an hour to 2 hours less than us.


So unfair.


I hate it. And I get really shitty. My thoughts towards him swing from hate, to 'don't be too hasty.' Like I said, I get along with him, despite his shit getting-to-work ethic.


At the beginning, no-show boy first joined us, he would take advantage of the whole training phase, and leave work a little earlier here, a little earlier there. On one Saturday, although I had left before him because I had started earlier, I know for a fact he left at least a full 2 hours before his shift ended. 2 WHOLE HOURS! OMG!!!!


What adds to it is the other fact, that he takes frequent and long breaks throughout the day. Just yesterday, as a test, I noted the times that he'd been away from his desk:

7:10am he took a break, after coming in at 6:40. I can't remember how long he took.

8:50am he took a break when I took my first break. That was about 15-20 mins.

10:30 to 11:00am - gone. Whole half hour.

12:00pm - went for a walk. Don't know how long as I took my second break then.

12:44 to 12:57 - another quick one.


Then he bullshitted around for a bit, but I didn't note it down because he kept leaving and returning to his desk.


Now I know that I sound like a real time nazi here, but I don't claim to be perfect either. I know you can't always be on time, and I myself can't be too self-righteous, as most of my blog posts come from my working desk. However I never leave work, feeling like I haven't done my 'time,' that is, I make sure if I come in late, I make it up later. If I bullshit a bit here or there, I work extra hard in other times. And I don't abuse the work system (despite the fact that the work system abuses us quite a bit.)


Again, this morning, he arrived at 6:45am. He's started his computer. Bullshitted a bit. Then walked away before 7am and returned just now at 7:13am. I wouldn't be surprised if he left now for a smoko break, killing another 20-30 minutes.


Sigh. As I said, I get severely frustrated, as I both like him as a person, but HATE his habit. HATE it.


Do you know what his excuse was when he walked in at 9am one day? He totally admitted it, I give him kudos for that. But he was all like "I swore last night I set my time to 6am, and instead I must have set it later. I don't know what's wrong with me, I'm losing it." (Insert pity face and violin strings.) He does that quite a bit. Gathering pity and all. Which upsets me because there are people out there who want jobs and who will always arrive on time, and they're competing with people currently in jobs who are incompetent.


Now I feel bad because I'm bagging him. Such a conundrum.


Now it's time for me to get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment