Friday, September 11, 2009

Efficient vs. Slack, Going vs. ...... Going.

So yeah, lately I have been super efficient with blogging. Which means soon I'm gonna have no time for it at all. It's the calm before the storm....
And I do tend to crap on, sometimes. Often. More often than not. Ha ha. So I'll try reduce the director's instinct and in quoting an Aussie satire program "Edit it there."
So, I was watching a repeat ep of Scrubs just before. And it's the ep where
****************SPOILER ALERT**************SPOILER ALERT************SPOILER ALERT**************
Laverne is in a coma and dies. You know the receptionist lady. And then only a short time after that, our main boss at work called all the people in our immediate area into a group, and announced that one of the employees had resigned. It came as a shock I guess, because it WAS out of no where, but then again, seeing as he was kind of the problem child of the workplace, with being late, irresponsible and sometimes, well slack, from what I hear anyway, I guess it was coming. So you could sort of tell when our boss announced it to everyone, that it wasn't your typical resignation announcement of "Yeah, we're happy for him to go on to greater things!" it was more like "I'm telling you first before the rumours start."
I can't really lie here: this news doesn't really affect me. I din't work with him directly or speak to him a whole lot. What do I REALLY mean by that? Well that I won't miss him, frankly put. Maybe it's due to the fact that he upset me with a few comments, maybe it's because after he found out I was engaged he treated me differently, coldly (long story).
But then going back to the Scrubs ep, seeing a regular cast member leave, and then thinking of this guy from our work leaving, it did make me sad. Looking at the workplace of Sacred Hearts, and then comparing it to our real one here, I thought of people leaving, and how those left behind feel. Whether it's a resignation, or something more life-changing like death, the sad but unfortunately true fact is that people move on. They think about what's happened: they whisper about it in the kitchen when they think no one is listening; during coffee break they speculate as to what will happen next. And then things just continue.
So you wonder.. when the day comes for you to leave your workplace, whether that be as a result of good or bad news, how will your colleagues, the people who said hi to you everyday, react? Will they react, will they care?
Will they secretly be pleased, or secretly mourn the loss of someone who they secretly cared for?
If you could be a fly on the wall for every conversation concerning you.. would you be happy with what you heard? Or disappointed? Sometimes it's better not to know too much. Mystery can be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment