Monday, April 4, 2011

Beating Time

So often in life, we find ourselves running against the clock, trying to get as much done as we possibly can, going to as many places as humanly possible, and setting ourselves goals that we can never really achieve within a day.

We never have enough time. I've myself wanted to find the cure for sleep on many an occasion. I love sleep, sooooo much, don't get me wrong. But when I have too much to do, and I've promised myself and a lot of others to get certain things done, I start counting the hours, and wishing that 8 hours of sleep wasn't a prerequisite every single day. It would be good if we could, you know, skip a day, without the detrimental effects of what that would normally do catching up to us.

It's our own fault. We give ourselves too much to do. Waste our time on petty little bullshit, make promises we can't keep. Or in my case as it often occurs, I plan on doing too much, and end up burnt-out by the end of the day when I do miraculously manage to keep all my commitments, having had to fly and rush through them just to achieve them all.

It's no good. We need to relax. Look at what is realistically possible. Look at what it is that is truly important to us, our livelihood, and what we must do. All the extra stuff, forget it. If you don't die by failing to perform a task, it's probably safe to say it isn't so important, and can wait 'til another time for completion.

Despite all these very smart realisations I've had to beat in and imbue into my mind over the last few months, I found myself in a rare and delightful circumstance yesterday.

I found myself beating time. Like literally. I was in front of time.

Daylight savings ended in Victoria on Sunday morning. Now that we are entering into the depressing cold and dark wintry months ahead of us, our clocks are to move back one hour, in order to align us up to this man-made invention.

So, by moving back an hour..... you actually get an extra hour. Of whatever you so wish.

:)

I knew the time was going back one hour, however come Saturday night, after Hubbie and I consumed one too many drinks, we went to bed, completely oblivious of the earlier conversation we'd had about gaining an hour the next day.

I made myself get up out of bed just after 9am on Sunday morning. I had all this washing to do, and I figured my sleep in on Saturday had been more than decent. I probably wouldn't have slept much longer, it's just that when you wake up, and there's very little light coming in through the cracks in the closed blinds, you just KNOW that it's a depressing sight outside.

I started making brekkie, and had the TV on in the background. I caught a brief look at one of those news banners they have along the bottom, that changes every few seconds with the daily news titles of the day, and saw the words "daylight savings ends."

I stopped motionless for a moment, my brain trying to catch up. Then it hit me. It was now actually 8:30, rather than 9:30!

'I could have slept longer,' was what I first thought to myself. But then the joy of realising I was up, and had had the same number of sleep, but it was still an hour earlier..... I felt devilishly scheme-y.

I called Hubbie, who had planned to go to work at 6:30..... yep he got there 5:30. We laughed because it meant he was coming home earlier, with once again, not having lost ANY sleep.

All morning I did my jobs, peaking quick looks at the clock, and feeling as if I were WAY ahead of time. And I was. I was thinking, 'this is awesome, this is the only time in the year when we actually get in front of time.'

Ha. Screw you time. I beat you.

Famous last thoughts.

What I failed to realise, was that although I felt I had beaten time, my body was still running on old time. So, my brekkie came early according to my old body clock, and then my lunch came... late, and dinner... late.

That wouldn't normally be an issue, because I'm not soft. But my body having been out of sorts lately, by the time I was preparing dinner that night, I felt shots of weakness spasm through me. The changed time, combined with my not-too-crash-hot-body, was now giving me sick symptoms.

Today I write this with a sore-ish throat. I had weak muscles on the way into work, making me think it may possibly develop into a full-blown cold/flu. I'm keeping it at bay with cough lollies, and I need to have another hot tea soon.

Moral of the story. When you think you've beaten time, you haven't. Don't get cocky. Time always catches up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment