Thursday, June 24, 2010

O-M-G.

I don't even know how to begin this blog. I think I should begin with: Life is bloody weird. The Universe is WEIRD. It screws with you and gives you things after you have proclaimed that you don't wish for them anymore.




It all started yesterday. Yesterday with my 'sick' blog (so to speak).



After posting that blog, still suffering from my cold/flu/possessed body symptoms, I couldn't really motivate myself to get back to work. It was tooooooo hard. So I started randomly reading some of my old posts. I just started clicking, and one click led to another; soon I was reading one of my earliest posts about a close friendship I'd had that had failed, and how after a meeting with her 10 years after the fact, I had come to the realisation that we were just destined to grow apart; and I was ok with this. I could move on.



The post in question: When I was 14, I was right - Part 2 (The Elephant in the Room)



I had been really enjoying reading all my posts. Laughing a bit, and getting caught up in all the stuff that had happened in my life over the past year. I was happy with my chronicling, and proud that I actually enjoyed my OWN work. So you can imagine how I must have felt when reaching the end of that current post, I read the last few lines and smiled with such contentment:



'Life can be weird. It gives you things when you least want them, and tests you by taking away often what you think is dearest to you. However, life is at it's most unique when it shows you that you were right all along. I'll find out soon enough if this is the case for me.'



I absolutely fell in love with this sentence. I was so proud that a quote, filled with such meaning, poignanty and realism, had come from ME. My mind, my creativity. I was so rapt in the moment, I immediately decided that that night I would make my facebook status that quote, minus the "I'll find out..." last line.



Although those lines were specific to that particular post, the encompassing meaning of life that rang through it made me think that it would be perfect as a facebook status, because often in life, we as humans come across situations that do test us, with unexpected things thrown our way.



I was telling Hubbie about it that night as we got ready to eat, and then I showed him the quote online. I was so excited about this quote, more for the fact that I loved the surprising nature of its meaning, rather than WHY I had written it in the first place.



So when I finally logged onto facebook, I copied and pasted into my status section:



'Life can be weird. It gives you things when you least want them, and tests you by taking away often what you think is dearest to you. However, life is at it's most unique when it shows you that you were right all along.'



I pasted it, and self-indulgently read it a few more times.



I was wondering if and when any of my facebook friends would see it and whether they would like it, so I clicked on the tab on the lower right hand corner to see who was currently online.



There were probably about 10 people. One of them was her.



As in my ex, previous, former best friend, of who I had just posted a quote that I loved, from a blog I'd written about our failed friendship, months and months ago.



I sort of smiled, thinking of the odd coincidence that she would also be online at this exact moment.



Not even a long moment later, I noticed that I had a red number 2, highlighted at the top of my notifications tab on the top left side.



I immediately thought: "that was quick. Must be someone referring to my status update."



After all, that was the only change to my page I had recently posted.



As I clicked on the tab to see who had done what, I almost froze. SHE had made a comment on my status, and also "like"-d it.



As I quickly clicked onto my status to read her comment, I had a weird half-smile on my face; I couldn't believe the absolute ridiculousness of it all.



Her comment went along the lines of "Yes, it's all part of life's lessons..."



I sat there, absolutely stunned about the events that had just progressed in the last 2 minutes. And yes it was only 2 minutes. I had posted a status, (the background text said "2 minutes ago") and her comment on it had followed so quickly afterwards ("posted 1 minute ago" - said the background text).



I had posted a quote that I absolutely loved. From a post about her and I, from my blog. About our failed friendship. The conclusion of that post had been that I was happy where we were in our lives, and I had no intention whatsoever of pursuing a friendship with her again, as I'd realised we'd had our time together, and now we were going our separate ways. Like that often circulating email: reason, season, lifetime. I can never work out the difference between reason and season friends, but she was a reason-er/season-er to me.



Or so I thought.



And out of all the friends on facebook, the one person who immediately commented and "liked" my status, was her! Un-freaking-believable, the whole irony of it!



I had to let Hubbie know, and he read over my shoulder as I filled him in on what had just gone down.



So I was left with two questions, two scenarios.



Was this the Universe's way of freaking messing with me? Well no, this wasn't one of my questions, but the thought did cross my mind. My question actually was: was this the Universe's way of telling me to not give up? Was it telling me that our friendship was not over, not done, the story of our lives had not yet reached it's conclusion? I couldn't help but ponder all this, especially since I found the incident so remarkable that it couldn't possibly be put down to just 'coincidence.' Some wild coincidence I say!



Or, was it something else? Had I attracted her response, in line with The Secret philosophies that I so strongly live by now? I had been reading the post I'd written about our friendship during the day. I absolutely LOVED the quote I'd written at the end of it. I'd spent all day thinking about it as my facebook status, and then spent a good portion of that night excitedly telling Hubbie about it. Had I inadvertently attracted this situation, and her response, to me?



I thought for a bit, and then did the only thing I thought was right to do. Test it. I didn't really care what would happen, so the outcome would only tell me which of my theories was correct, with no love lost.



So I wrote on her facebook page, just a general comment like "how have you been anyway? a very very belated happy birthday, looks like you had fun!" (in reference to birthday photos she'd recently put up.



She responded quickly again, saying it had been a great night and asking how I was. I chose the opportunity to do what I'd never thought I'd do again:



"yeah things are pretty good. (-insert talk about being sick as a dog, blah, blah, blah-) Maybe we should have that catch up we spoke about last time, when things calm down a bit. Take care:)"



I did it. I never, ever, EVER thought I would initiate any sort of contact with her again. Not that I hated her. It wasn't like that. I was just over the whole angst of all the years of "oh how sad our friendship has come to an end" bullshit I'd grown so accustomed to. The liberation of knowing it was just meant to be helped me to look forward and not worry about all that anymore. Our friendship was meant to end. I think....



Look, I'm not being hopeful or anything. I don't really care, honestly. I have no need for her. I'm just curious. And playing a game with the Universe to see what will conspire.



She hasn't messaged back to my comment. Either she hasn't seen it, or she is thinking about it. Or, she may just ignore it. And in that case I will know it was just a random coincidental incident that occurred, that I had freakily attracted her response due to my mad excitement about the quote in the first place.



But if she responds, and positively......Well that will make me think. I'll have to really think. And ask myself if I'm ready to go down this path and allow her into my life, when I have such fantastic friends already. I just don't know if I want to do that.



And if we by some odd, weird, peculiar and random chance end up friends again.... .well I'll just be flabbergasted I think. I'll need to start circulating an email of my own, with an extra addition to the reason, season, lifetime friends......

The Lightning Friend.



You have a lightning friend when you are close for a long period of time, and then, for no apparent, clear reason at all, due to no wrongdoing on anyone's part, your friendship ends. It may be that your friend goes away. You may simply just grow apart. You may both just need time to yourselves, so that you can breathe on your own and become your own person, in your own separate times.

And then, when you least expect it, often when you believe your friendship is over and dead to you, it will return. It will happen in the most unlikely and unexpected manner; but believe it, it is real, it is true.

However, be aware: this form of friendship is quite rare, thus the name, The Lightning Friend. Once this person enters your life again, it is a significant moment: the friendship should be cherished, preserved, and not taken advantage of.

Because lightning rarely strikes twice.



LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment