Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dear: The Hoverer

Dear: The Hoverer




Could you please not hover over/beside/near/around the corner from me at work? It is really frustrating and puts me off my work duties, such as checking emails, surfing the net, reading blogs and other miscellaneous web-related activities.

It's not that I feel guilty doing things other than work: no, to the contrary, I am relaxing from all the pressure of work life, and giving myself a well-deserved break after killing myself to get all the schedules done for the day. So now I choose to rest and relax. Just as you seem to choose to hover annoyingly over me.

And pace. I don't know which is worse. When you hover I try to listen, perk my ears up, to try work out whether you are on my left or right, whether you are directly behind me watching me work, or only a few steps away, waiting and watching to catch someone, anyone, out of line.

When you pace, it is unexpected. You appear suddenly out of the corner, striding down the passageway towards me. And just when I think you're out of sight, I click my web browser window back to the main screen, only to have you unexpectedly turn back, coming the way you came from, leaving me to frantically rummage with my computer mouse to click to a work screen, in order to not make you suspicious of my work activities.

Because there is nothing suspicious. I am merely resting. Relaxing. Taking a break from the busy-ness and stress.

You make me stress more. So I must relax more. The more you hover and pace the more and longer I must relax. Because your annoying work habits prolong my rest. Really, it's true.

And I need to hide my activities from you. Because you are my Grand-Daddy Boss - only in the hierarchical sense, definitely not in the other sense, eeeeew, yuck! - and in the end, you are in charge.

So please go away. You are cramping my non work-related style.

No comments:

Post a Comment